This article is taken from the TriChicks webinar series Running: Method behind the madness. To watch the full webinar, head over to the TriChicks Hub.
So you want to improve your running and fast? Well, unfortunately, there are no quick fixes. But, there are some things you can do help speed up your improvement… and your speed!
- Get an analysis – Get a video analysis done by your coach to identify your strengths and the areas that need improvement. Agree on which areas to work on and set a plan to get better at these. Don’t forget to lock in another time for an analysis to see how you’ve progressed.
- Find your reason why – It’s good to have a real reason to why you’re running and why you’ve chosen the goal you’ve chosen, not just ‘tick it off the list’. This is important because there will be days when you don’t feel like running or when it seems too hard and that’s when you’ll need to recall your ‘why’.
- Choose a race for a reason – Having a race as a goal is a great way to set you up for improvement. There is a finite amount of time for you to train which forces you to make a strong plan and be committed to it.
- Be specific – Pick one thing you want to improve with your race whether this is conquering a new distance, improving your speed and thus race time or simply improve your confidence. Choose one – don’t try to do everything.
- Progress with a plan – We say it a lot but that’s because it’s true, failing to plan is planning to fail. Once you’ve identified your areas of improvement and established a ‘why’, and picked your race, it’s time to put a plan in motion. Create the plan with your coach so you can be sure you’re being guided by an expert!
Good luck runner!